Well…it’s no secret that I’m disappointed today. Among many other emotions. I did not drink my bubbly. I did not put the Future President onesie on my daughter.
I am sad that the country I thought I knew and loved is not actually what I thought it was.
I am mad that kids are scared.
I am outraged that adults are making fun of kids who are scared and/or dismissing their fears.
I am sick of my emotions being described as “butt hurt.”
Things I heard today:
- Your brown kids don’t need to be scared if they are citizens.
- This implies that undocumented kids should be scared. YOU ARE ADVOCATING FOR SCARING CHILDREN FOR SOMETHING THEY HAVE NO CONTROL OVER.
- Excuse me? When was the last time someone asked for your proof of citizenship before engaging in racist behavior?
- If your kids are scared it’s your fault. This was followed by one of two possible reasonings:
- You’re not raising your kids in a bubble and exposing them to things they shouldn’t be exposed to.
- OR you ARE raising your kids in a bubble and that’s why they are too sensitive. For the love of peanut butter WHICH IS IT? Do I bubble wrap my child or not?
- Republicans didn’t act this way when Obama was elected. You’re joking, right? RIGHT?
- I’m tired of my non-racist white friends living in rural America with no economic relief being accused of being racist. Um…I can’t help you. Those poor, poor white males with lives that matter.🎻
Maybe tomorrow I can find a non-political topic. For now, me and my “butt hurt” are going to play with my kid and relish the fact that she’s too young to know what’s going on.